THE POWER OF CHANGE
2011 will see the world emerge from a traumatic period into one characterised by hope and new values. For this reason, a change in thinking is the starting point for our seasonal trends.
- Alternative ways of trading
- An individual/niche approach
- A collaborative and connected world
- An all-inclusive approach to age and gender
- Creativity that provides genuine solutions
- An optimistic outlook
- Be responsible – design smart
- Simplify your message
- Create heirlooms
- Make technology personable
- Think low-margin creativity
- Remember – the devil is in the [historic]detail
- Take a journey in time and place
- Curate and record
- Create a confident future
- Embrace a keleidoscopic energy
As a concept, Sensory boils down to the desire for a more intense connection, be that with a product or with each other.Sound is used as a tool for communication, as well as entertainment – your presence in a space is enhanced by light and colour; your thoughts become as powerful as your actions; and your mindlooks for greater stimuli and creative release.If you think it all seems quite psychedelic, you’d be right. But the new psychedelia is technologically induced and more about exploring new skills and applications – with digital manipulation forinstance – than just letting go.
FAIR & SQUARE
Fair & Square may look stripped back and bare in its aesthetic, but it is warm, in touch with the modern world and future-thinking. Simply put, it’s about homing in on a straightforward brand message. The concept of responsibility is at its core, so consider putting sustainable thinking into your product development, manufacture, marketing and also your product’s afterlife.Fair & Square isn’t about pushing back against ambition and profit. It’s more about rethinking how we strip back and enjoy life while we do it.
ALTERNATIVE TRADING / FOCUS / NEW BOHEMIANS / MICRO-NICHE / HONEST AND RELIABLE / THOUGHTFUL SIMPLICITY / CREATING WORTH
AROUND THE WORLD RIGHT NOW WE’REWITNESSING A STRONG DESIRE TO CHALLENGE CONVENTION, TO FIND A SIMPLER LIFE (OFTEN BYHEADING TO THE COUNTRY), AND EMBRACE AN OFFBEAT, CREATIVE, PERSONAL AESTHETIC.
We’ve tracked this growing movement for several seasons, butduring spring/summer 2011 it reaches the tipping point that sees it hit the mainstream.
Storytelling has evolved on to a whole new level, as we take a journey in time and place. The historic past, the here and now, and fast-moving science fuse together to create the future. It’s themix of multi-layered references that creates something new.
This is not about a retro vision of the future, but instead about taking products and ideas directly from the past, adding a contemporary filter and an advanced technology layer. The result? A timehybrid that feels totally fresh.
LIFE LOGGING / WORKING WITH MEMORIES / SLOW DOWN / TRADITION MEETS TECHNOLOGY / FOSSILS OF THE FUTURE / CULTURAL OVERLAY / LEGACY
LEGACYMANIFESTOS, SLOGANS AND GRAPHIC STATEMENTSARE BEING USED TO PLOT TODAY’S NARRATIVES,CREATING LEGACIES FOR THE FUTURE.
DeadMau5 – I Remember directed by Colin O’Toole is partshort film part music video, and was produced in collaborationwith the brand Your Own Clothing.An older man talks to two young men about how youth todaydoesn’t have a voice or belong to a collective group with ashared passion.To illustrate his point he explains the 10 commandments ofbeing a true raver, little knowing that his young friends havealready been planning a party of their own.www.pulsefilms.co.uk. It’s fascinating to see the idea of legacy – in this case the ravescene of the late 80s and the political protest that represented -being used as a narrative thread by the new generation, as theytake it to the next level.Rather than lamenting another generation, it’s refreshing to seea celebration of differences as well as similarities. Leave alegacy for the future or simply put what you believe down onpaper – it’s the new sloganism.
- Timelines packaging explores and engages with our design history to create a new, historically layered update of the original
- Structure and shape show a historical timeline – a physical form that records the past, present and future into an inspiring modern product
- Sensory packaging’s primary function is to stimulate the consumer experience, through touch, sight and sound
- Structure is immersed in technology, experimental shape and colour
- Fair & Square is about modest simplicity – a restrained approach to design and the search for simpler, more alternative ways of living
- A no-nonsense homely move towards packaging presents a stripped-back aesthetic